Thursday, April 8, 2010

Man of the Year (Must have been a dull year)

I just watched the movie "Man of the Year" starring Robin Williams and all I can say is it has missing that one little element that I love to see in a comedy.... jokes. I mean joke is such a broad term, I'm talking wit, sarcasm, word play, unusual situations, a fucker slipping on a banana peel something.

What a crock of shit!

I don't want to pick on Robin Williams, I've been a fan for much of my life and the man can play both comedy and drama very will but what the fuck is this mess. I know they were going for that Good Morning Vietnam feel again but it just doesn't work because there really is never any tension in the movie. I mean, will Robin Williams win the election, of course he will because there wouldn't be a movie if he didn't. Will the evil Electronic Voting Corporation stop at nothing to prevent Laura Linney from exposing the glitch that got him elected, of course they won't they are a Corporation in a Movie(no tension or surprise here). Will she die in the attempts, of course not it is a light comedy you can't end it on a heavy note (no tension). After she tells him how he got elected will he keep his mouth shut and ascend to the Presidency or will he tell everyone the truth Live on SNL, what do you think(the lack of tension is palatable). I mean seriously on that part how many times have we seen that in a movie over the last 20 years. The main character, in a tight situation, will he choose right vs wrong while in front of a live camera in which hundreds of thousands of people are watching him. (we are talking about Saturday Night Live here so I might be generous and say 200k).
Now maybe I take my comedy and my politics a little too seriously but I think that if you were going to make a movie commenting on some of the rather lame aspects of how we elect the President of the United States then you should make some outspoken comments instead of this weak hemming and hawing. The only time the movie actually does this is during a Presidential Debate Scene about 25 minutes into the movie and it is probably the only time in which Robin Williams is let off the leash with his manic energy and way of thinking, just knocking holes into the other candidates standing up there with him. That was it, that was the money shot, that was the Luke Skywalker destroying the Death Star in the first act. Now sit back and relax cause you have another 70 minutes of bullshit to get through before the credits roll.
And what's the deal with the PG-13, you have Lewis Black and Robin Williams in the same movie and you can't get an R rating. I know, I know nothing draws the kids in more than a movie about politics except maybe a movie about the Victorian Age.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea that you had a blog. Maybe that was your sinister plan all along... Well, if so it's been foiled. Foiled. Foiled. Kind of a funny word, huh? Makes me think of the scene in Fried Green Tomatoes when Kathy Bates wrapped herself in saran wrap. Maybe it would have been better had she wrapped herself in foil. I guess we'll never know.

    I never had any intention of seeing this movie and that's not changed after reading your review. The whole premise seemed a bit trite. The only bright spot was the potential of Robin Williams comic genius. Seems that was lacking so I'm glad to avoid it. I have enough movies for my future post entitled "I want that two hours of my life back and in the case of AI I want four" so I'm glad to leave this one untouched on the shelf of the failing movie rental store...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a blog for about 6 years though it was on Myspace. I used to be pretty prolific but sitting at home doesn't give one much to write about really.

    Thanks for finding me.

    ReplyDelete